1. Nothing is happening after clicking on the “Take Course” Icon.
A small window opens and closes. Nothing is happening
I’m getting a message “Currently you are accessing a course, please close that to access this”
This kind of problems happens due to pop-up blockers. There are lots of toolbars, applications which are being installed in the browser which block the pop-ups. This will block the course to run. The user has to allow popup on all the tool bars and also in the browsers.
2. IE crash- Course window closes giving a IE error message “Internet explorer encountered a problem and need to close. Sorry for inconvenience.
If the Internet Explorer is crashing, then the user has to take help of the local IMG. As this is system specific problem the local IT/IMG people can take necessary action.
When we receive such problems earlier, we recommended the users to user Netscape Navigator 6 or above with Sun JRE 1.4.2_02. For any further queries on IE crash you can ask the users to recommend the same solution.
3. I’m not able to access the course.
The users will not be able to access courses for the following reasons.
If pop up blockers are enabled for the site.
If the operating system is Windows XP with service Pack 2
If the user is under a firewall where it blocks the Java Cab Files
4. When I click on take course icon, a small window comes up and closes.
If pop up blockers are enabled for the site.
operating system is Windows XP with service Pack
If it is due to pop up blockers, disable pop blockers for the site while accessing the courses:
· right click on the Internet explorer standard toolbar
· Uncheck the options if any third party tools of popup blockers such as Google, Yahoo! Companion, etc.
If the operating system is Windows XP sp2, then follow the steps in FAQ# 15
5. The course window opens and hangs in “Loading please wait “state.
This is caused by Java not capable of launching the self-executing applet that brings down the player and runs the course.
Java is being blocked or filtered from playing through the browser.
First, check to see if this is a wide spread issue or an individual machine error. If it is a system wide error (all users have this issue or all users at this location have this issue)
If it is system wide it is usually the applet being blocked or filtered at the Proxy/Firewall and the IS department needs to change the settings on the proxy/Firewall.
If it is an individual issue, you need to establish the browser type (Internet Explorer or Netscape)
Please note: The resolution for this issue could involve altering your system files or downloading from the Internet. Please check with your IS department before beginning any system changes.
If you are using Internet Explorer, check the settings as follows:
· Download a new Java Virtual Machine (JVM) in Internet Explorer from the microsoft site.
· On the next page you will scroll down to the bottom and select the uppermost of the 3 choices (Microsoft VM build #### for Windows 95/98, Windows Me and Windows NT 4.0) and choose to run it from it’s current location.
· Click OK or YES to any of the questions you will be prompted with.
· Begin download of the JVM that is applicable to your browser.
build 3802 for Windows 95/98, Windows Me and Windows NT 4.0 5.4 MB.(Important
Once installed, the Microsoft VM cannot be uninstalled.)
(All supported language versions are included in this download.)
build 3802 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (hotfix)
(Important Once installed, the hotfix cannot be uninstalled.)
· Note: Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 must be installed prior to installing the 3802 hotfix.)
· Microsoft VM Debug Classes (Developers Only)Remember, to make this take affect, you will need to reboot your pc.
If Microsoft VM is installed and still he faces the problem, then ask the user to send the Java Console Contents.
How to send
the Java Console contents:
Open IE -> Click on Tools -> internet options
Select the advanced tab
Scroll down to Microsoft VM option
Check the option “java console enabled(requires restart)”
Close the browser
Login and access the course. After clicking on take course icon, wait for few minutes and then in parent window go to view menu -> java console
A small window will be displayed with some text
Please copy the text in the window and send it.
7. How to retrieve forgot password?
Click on the forgot password link on the login page
In the forgot password page, enter your user id or email id and click on submit button
Your password will be send to your mail id
8. How to test the browser capabilities of the user’s system.
Access the below link from the same system where you have experienced the problem: http://support.skillsoft.com/customer/spjava.htm
Click on the link “click here” in the first line of the page.
Enter your email and click on submit
Ask the user to forward the mail send by SkillSoft with browser test results to analyze the issue.
9. If the user says that his course status is not changing even though he scored as per the completion criteria.
Click on the update status icon in the actions column next to course name.
If the user reaches the required score the course will be updated and gives a message that “Course is completed and can continue with next course.”
10. How to check whether JVM/JRE is installed on your system or not?
Explorer->Click on Menu "Tools" -> click on "Internet
Options" -> click on "Advanced" tab
Check whether "Microsoft VM" installed or not.
If it is
already Installed then check the "JIT compiler for virtual
machine enabled (requires restart)" Option under "Microsoft VM". Restart
If it is not installed- Download Microsoft VM from the link: http://www.microsoft.com/Java
Or download Sun JRE from this link:
11. Not able to login to the site:
User may mistyped or forgot the password/user id
This Site must been blocked by the Client Network.
Take the help of IT/IMG to remove the site from the block list..
Steps for IE browser:
· Open IE browser and click on Tools-> internet options-> privacy tab
· Then click on edit button in websites section
· Enter the address of the site and click on allow button and then click on ok button.
· Refresh the IE and try to login to the site.
Steps for Netscape browser:
· Open the Netscape browser and enter the site address in the address bar
· click on Tools -> cookie manger -> Allow cookies from this site
· Refresh the browser and try to login again.
12. The user has downloaded the SCM and when tries to login, it gives a error
message that user id does not exists
When the user tries to login to SCM locally for the first time.
After the SCM is downloaded, user has to download courses.
Once the SCM installation is completed, user has to close all the browser windows and then open the site in a new browser.
Login to the site with your login details and then click on my training plan -> open package and then click on take course icon.
In Instructions page, click on download course link and download the course.
Once this is done, the local SCM will launch automatically and then the course will be downloaded
Then user can login to Local SCM with his user id & password.
13. Cannot access courses- Showing an error message “java.io.IOException”
This problem may be due to network connection failure or
If the browser is unable open the Java Cab file
Contact your network administrator
14. When I try to access course offline the following error occurs:” HTTP ERROR:
404 Could not find resource for /Content/en/launchlocalBS.htm"
If the user has not installed the SkillSoft course player properly. (or)
If the user has not downloaded the course content properly.
Uninstall the existing SCM and download the SCM again from the site.
Then download the course content and try accessing offline again.
15. Cannot see the Play course link in the description window, after clicking on Take
If the user is accessing the courses on Windows XP operating system
If the user has upgraded his OS to Windows XP SP2
Step 1: Disable the personal Firewall installed along with SP2.
· To turn Windows Firewall off You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.
· Open Windows Firewall, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Windows Firewall.
· On the General tab, click on the following: Off (not recommended). Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from viruses or unknown intruders.
· Windows Firewall is turned on by default for all Internet and network connections. However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.
· Windows Firewall is turned on by default, so you cannot use some features of some types of programs, unless the program is listed on the Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall. For example, you might not be able to send photos using an instant messaging program until you add the program to the exceptions list.
Step 2: Turn off the pop up blockers
· Pop-up Blocker in Internet Explorer is turned on by default. This will prevent most browser pop-up windows from being displayed while you are online.
· If pop-up blocker is not turn off then a message will be displayed stating that “You are currently accessing a course. Please close that to open this course”
· Turn off the pop-up blocker:
ü In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, point to Pop-up Blocker
ü Click Turn off Pop-up Blocker. Pop-up Blocker is on by default. You should need to turn it off
Step 3: Open the course summary page as new window.
· After turning the popup blocker to off, you will be able to view the Course summary page. This page will not contain the “Play this Course” link to launch the course as shown below.
· To view the “Play this Course” link, do the following:
o Select the Course summary page window
o Press Ctrl+ N, to open the same in a new window.
o The “Play this Course” link will be appeared in the new window that was opened.